14 October 2006

Great Day at Shipwreck Beach

Friday, Mom and Dad and I went to shipwreck beach on Mutsu Bay. It was a rainy day and I had my doubts about going to the beach in bad weather.

We have had lots of tropical storm weather around the island. When we got to Mutsu Bay, the waves were white-capping and the wind was blowing into the beach. We were the only ones on the beach that morning.

I was thrilled when Dad and I saw a big, Japanese fishing float on the beach. I have wanted to find one of these things for a long time. The one we found is a dark green glass ball with it's netting still around it. There was a small, orange plastic float tied to it as well. It is about the size of a beach ball.



Farther down the beach we found a mysterious wooden box with Japanese characters on it. It was nailed shut, but kind of interesting looking, so we held on to it as well.



We looked a little farther down the beach and saw another big glass float. This one was also the size of a beach ball but it is clear glass and has no netting. Additionally, it is covered in clams and barnacles. This ball must have been stuck down at the bottom for a while and was jarred loose in the storm.



In addition to the glass floats, we also found several really interesting sea shells.



What a great day at the beach! The floats are currently in the front yard. We are trying to decide if we should clear off the barnacles or not... Right now I am afraid they have a pretty healthy stink! I am hoping some fresh air and sunshine will improve them so we can bring them inside.

Love,

4Vs Posted by Picasa

No comments: