06 April 2006

Southern Living, Beer and Flowers



I learned something new yesterday. I was watching the snow fall outside and reading an article on petunias in Southern Living (Thanks Mom!). Over the years I have come to love the Wave Petunias. They are a relatively new breed of petunias (1995). They are easy and hardy and look great in a hanging basket. Imagine my surprise when I read in Southern Living that Wave Petunias were developed by the Kirin Brewery Company in Japan!

Since moving here, we have become familiar with Kirin beer. Sometimes beer is the only food you can identify for sure at the local festivals. When in doubt about whatever it is that might be cooking on the end of a stick (chicken? pork? dog? squid? potato?), you can ask for beer-u and know what you are getting! Kompai! (Japanese for "Cheers!")

Anyway, after futher research, I found that Kirin Brewery has an agri-business section to their corporation. They did, in fact, develop the wave variation of the petunia.

Good news- I should surely be able to find some of these in town, right? The beer is here, so the flowers must be too...(There is a joke in SL about picking up a six-pack of these petunias, but I will spare you!)

So think of us this weekend if your wave petunias look especially nice in your garden! I will be looking for them at the local markets.....

Love,

4Vs

No comments: