Gracie and I picked up this alphabet chart at the 100yen store this week. She and I are working on learning her letters, and I thought this would be fun. It has capital letters, lowercase letters and Kanji letters- how international!
Turns out, it is a little different. Gracie and our next door neighbor Max are very concerned about the letter X. They both know that Christmas doesn't start with an X and yet the chart shows a Christmas tree with this letter. I have been over the Xmas concept with them, but they don't get it..... While we are on the subject, why would the Japanese chart have a Christmas tree at all? There are almost no Christian Japanese at all....
There are a few more peculiarities if you look at the chart as well...
T has a flower on it, but it is a Tulip
C is a cap, but Gracie and Max insist it is a hat
G is for glass, but again, my preschool friends insist it is water
Oh well, at least we have interesting conversations about the alphabet lettters!
Have a great weekend,
4Vs
No comments:
Post a Comment