Mike and Brock took off early this morning to ski the slopes at Appi. They left the base at 7am with hopes of fresh powder and a day of winter big fun!
Gracie and I had a quiet morning and a girls lunch at the base food court. We bought a new jigsaw puzzle and came home to watch it snow and put the puzzle together.
Around 1:30pm, we had an earthquake. It is noteworthy because we haven't had a good one in a long time and this one was especially long. The shaking lasted over three minutes. We just kept looking at each other and watching stuff jiggle and shake. (I often wonder if I should spring into action as soon as I feel the shaking start instead of sitting around watching things bounce...but this seldom occurs to me when it is actually happening and I am a little unclear as to what I would spring into action to do!)
At any rate, the quake ended and we talked about it with our neighbors for a few minutes. I went to the internet to get the info. It was an 8.3 quake in the islands North of Hokkaido. I also learned that the quake triggered a tsunami warning.
We had a tsunami warning earlier a few months ago and it wasn't a big deal. Today, the tsunami warning caused quite a bit of freaking out on the base. (Maybe because it was during the middle of the day and everyone is off work and such.... Last time was at 9:30p...) The "big voice" mentioned something about evacuating, but the voice is so garbled in the wind that you can't hear very well. TV finally came on and said that the beach areas were evacuating but the rest of us were fine. Yeah!
Another small follow up quake that you couldn't quite feel and a couple of hours later for the tsunami warning to expire and all is well.
I wonder if Mike and Brock felt or heard anything on the slopes....They will be home in a couple of hours. I'll let you know!
Everyday in Japan is an adventure!
Love,
4Vs
Gracie and I had a quiet morning and a girls lunch at the base food court. We bought a new jigsaw puzzle and came home to watch it snow and put the puzzle together.
Around 1:30pm, we had an earthquake. It is noteworthy because we haven't had a good one in a long time and this one was especially long. The shaking lasted over three minutes. We just kept looking at each other and watching stuff jiggle and shake. (I often wonder if I should spring into action as soon as I feel the shaking start instead of sitting around watching things bounce...but this seldom occurs to me when it is actually happening and I am a little unclear as to what I would spring into action to do!)
At any rate, the quake ended and we talked about it with our neighbors for a few minutes. I went to the internet to get the info. It was an 8.3 quake in the islands North of Hokkaido. I also learned that the quake triggered a tsunami warning.
We had a tsunami warning earlier a few months ago and it wasn't a big deal. Today, the tsunami warning caused quite a bit of freaking out on the base. (Maybe because it was during the middle of the day and everyone is off work and such.... Last time was at 9:30p...) The "big voice" mentioned something about evacuating, but the voice is so garbled in the wind that you can't hear very well. TV finally came on and said that the beach areas were evacuating but the rest of us were fine. Yeah!
Another small follow up quake that you couldn't quite feel and a couple of hours later for the tsunami warning to expire and all is well.
I wonder if Mike and Brock felt or heard anything on the slopes....They will be home in a couple of hours. I'll let you know!
Everyday in Japan is an adventure!
Love,
4Vs
No comments:
Post a Comment